Sunday, October 11, 2015

Hammy Downs: Our Unique Upbringings

A few weeks ago I was texting my mother in law about my "hammy down" beanie that Cedric had gotten from his older cousin Levi.
Yes those blue eyes are enchanting...
         Isn't it funny how some things are so embedded in you from a young age you almost forget why you've always done something or always said that phrase? I guess it kind of goes along the lines of the nurture versus nature jargon. Why must it be versus... Can't we just say it's a very big mix and call it a day? (That's my two cents on the matter at least).
         I am so fortunate to have grown up with parents that did not spoil their children. My parents of course gave us what we needed (and fun toys some of the times!) and they were so good at having us appreciate our gifts and toys. We didn't need a new toy everyday for 'being good' that day, or we didn't cry and get our way in the grocery store. I loved the well-balanced respect they taught us.
        One thing I truly enjoyed as a child was hand-me-down clothes from my older 'cool' cousins who I looked up to in their fashion. *cough* Courtney and Megan *cough* (Even though I really WASN'T into fashion since I grew up with two older brothers (who pretty much made) me a tom boy). I'd always heard hand-me-downs spoken as "hammy downs". Who ever takes the time to clearly say hand pause me pause downs? It literally wasn't until my mother-in-law replied to my text with " that's a cute way of spelling it" that I was just confused. Then the next day she physically told me she was talking about my HAMMY DOWNS text. It was like *LIGHTBULB*. After twenty-four years of living on this earth, no one ever told me I was saying it wrong!!! Yet as I reminiscence, I can appreciate the idea that I had a unique childhood word to follow me into adulthood. If we all talked and learned the EXACT same things, everyone would be so predictable and boring! I've always considered myself an interesting character, and I appreciate other artistic weirdos out there too! Just don't get TOO strange on me... Ha ha ha.
another hammy down!

      

I also want to end by bringing back the point that I love how I loved hammy downs. (Yes, I will continue to use it this way) I am glad I am not the girl screaming to her mom that she must have the latest fashion, but can look in a big trash bag of used clothes and feel like it's a treasure chest. I can only hope and pray that I can instill this great quality into my kids as my mom did into me. Thank you Mom for helping me appreciate the little gifts in life!


What fun phrases or habits have you formed that are unique to YOU and your upbringing? I would love to hear stories!


No comments:

Post a Comment