Wednesday, October 7, 2015

They just don't teach kids things anymore...

October first. I was forty days out from my last period. I hadn't traveled or messed with my usual daily habits.Was I stressed? What could've been causing such a late period? The only time it was that late was right before my wedding; a lot of stuff going on, and every woman freaks out as the days before her wedding race by. I had been feeling very hormonal and tired the two weeks prior, but this day I was having a little more energy. So after I told Justin, it was time we just TRIED a pregnancy test. We decided to RUN to our nearest CVS. Came home, did the test, didn't understand why one line was more faded then the other, "Must be a faulty batch!" I said.  Ran back, got two more. Hmm. Same conclusion.
second 2 tests...
first 2 tests...
                                                      "Guess we are pregnant, Hunny."
 When I got pregnant, I really did not know much about my womanly body or how it was going to affect and change me as my pregnancy developed. Then the other big topic that hits you when you see those     two faded lines, I have to push a baby out of me?!? *freak out sesh*
Yes, I mentioned I had just been running..
        Good thing Justin and I love to research and discover what's best for our bodies on our own. A few books later and some internet searches and I was getting more and more comfortable with the situation.  As I have mentioned in my previous post, How to be laughing by the end of your labor, one of the major factors of having a successful labor was taking the Bradley Method classes. Each week I discovered more about my body and what an amazing working machine it is. After each class I would gain more knowledge, and being the outspoken person I am, HAD TO TELL OTHERS! I feel women now-a-days have some untold fear of feeling ashamed to talk about their bodies, yet how are we supposed to get through huge events like pregnancy and labor without helpful mamas who have already gone through it or who have done some thorough research.
        So I always ended up candidly talking to my go-to girls: my friends and ex-co-workers, Clair and Debbie, and of course my best friend Marissa. I would just shoot off the information at them from my weekly class, and it was monumentally shocking how little they knew about any of it (and that's not negative towards them, but shows how if three very different girls were never informed about the inevitable, how many more girls weren't informed). One of the big things that surprised me was when I had just finished my class on the billion benefits of breastfeeding,(I love THIS LINK about unmedicated babies and breastfeeding*note their is breasts, but its in a sweet breastfeeding way*) and Clair had told me she really didn't think she would breastfeed her babies. I just looked at her in astonishment. I had never even thought of NOT breastfeeding, and then to know all the benefits, made it even more solidified in my choice. Her reasoning, which is so true to many people of my generation, is that she never saw anyone breastfeeding, the hassle of trying to pull out your boob in public, and the over-commercialization of formula saying it's the easy alternative. *Yes after my many talks with her, she has definitely changed her mind. All that was needed was someone who cared to give her the cold, hard facts that was needed from the beginning.*
        As I started telling other people of my discoveries, I noticed that all my girl co-workers would come and listen to what I would say and ask questions, because they too wanted to be informed. I mean, I know they say ignorance is bliss, but walking into the start of your labor contractions with no idea what your body is telling you is plain Freaky, yes with a capitol "F"! No one should have to go through that.

       I guess this post is pretty much a rant, but I really think you should stop and take a moment to let it sink in. I love the cultures who share all their personal stories and give the reasons for why they do certain things; the parents and grandparents who take the time to sit down with their kids and grandchildren and earnestly help direct them in the knowledge they have developed through personal situations. If more mothers just told their daughters about the changes in the body and what an amazing 'machine' it is, that would put those girls in such a great position for when they start their own families. I would say they should teach us this stuff in school, but I am sure it would be all the money-based hospital shenanigans like no need for pain, just take an epidural, or you have to be laying down with an IV stuck in you as you go through your whole labor...etc, etc, etc.




<<< Started off with a little belly...






             


                >>>Ended up pretty huge!>>>
       I really encourage you to do some studying of your own, and talk to others whose insight you trust. It's amazing to look at your own body in an empowering way after discovering what you are fully capable of! Now having a baby, I have loved making new mommy friends, and it's great to have open discussions about how we are personally doing and the helpful tricks of how we are raising our babies!

       This is the start of upcoming blogs I have been wanting to do. I want to write out my personal labor story, and let you know how I really felt and the struggles and successes I had with it! I want to talk very frank and not sugarcoat what I went through, so hopefully you can get a REAL understanding of a natural labor story. I will probably break it down into three posts, first, second, and third stages of my labor!

 Do you often wish more people were candid about what's going on with their bodies? Or do you think it should be shunned from conversations? Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment