Friday, December 11, 2015

An Ode to a Best Friend

      It's an interesting dynamic growing up with a best friend as life goes through different seasons. In high school, a best friend is the closest person you live every moment with, unfolding all your secrets and dreams to. You are the most open and yourself with. You never think anyone could have that same bond, and in a way no one ever can. Then you find your husband, and the dynamics are forced to change again as you pour out even more intimately to your new best friend. But there is something so special about a true best friend who travels with you in the big life changes, and who adapts to keep your friendship thriving.
       I have now been married for over a year and a half, and it has made our girl nights sparse, but it means when we do see each other, it's even more special. Now, my best friend Marissa just got married to her soul mate. And it's a wonderful thing to watch someone you care for so much be given fully to another person, and to trust he will take care of her and love her as much as you do.

     Her wedding was unconventional where she did not have speeches, but if I could have given one, this is what I would have said:
     Marissa, before I met you, I felt like I was doomed to jumping from friend to friend, never really finding that perfect 'girlfriend' to live life's crazy memories with. When we finally found each other as best-friends our junior year in high school, it is crazy how we just clicked. (I will always say it's because of having only brother siblings and possessing that no-drama, laid back nature). We were able to get through high school with the madness in water polo, crazy boyfriends, and trying to carve out our future plans for life.
     Of all our incredible memories, one sticks out to me the most, and is the one that I will always cherish, because my daily prayer was finally answered the summer out of high school. We had been going to church for a while together and you were so interested in Christianity, but just hadn't dedicated your life to Him. I remember you going to Harvest Crusade with your second family (my family), I couldn't go since I had to work :( and coming back to my house that night and me embracing you and bawling as you told me you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. Oh that answered prayers was sweet music to my ears! Not only now did I get to live this crazy, unpredictable life with you, but I knew I got to live the glorious, eternal life along side you as well.
Marissa getting baptized
    After that our friendship developed onto another level. You have been such an encouraging and true friend. Your heart to serve and love others is undeniable, and has shown right through our relationship. If I was sick, "Oh Bree, I'll be right over with some soup!" If I was having a bad, crampy period, "Oh, I'm coming right over with a pint of ice cream, or is it dark chocolate you need this time?!" If I was having a crappy day, "I am coming over and we will talk about it!" It is incomprehensible how you never even think about it taking up your precious free time or money. You have always had the willingness to do anything to be a helping hand. Not just with me, but my whole family has taken you in as a daughter and sister, as you have helped and been a part of all their lives.
I am eternally grateful for all that you have done!
     With how unique and irreplaceable you are, I was always hesitant when you had a boyfriend. Would he treat you as the extraordinary women you are should be treated? Will he appreciate your continuous help and be grateful for all you do? When Chris came into the picture, I started getting excited. You began to talk about him all the time and how he adored you, I knew he could be the one. No, it hasn't been perfect and things have been bumpy once in a while, but that is needed in a relationship so that you can grow stronger and closer. It has been amazing to see you two together, made for each other. And now, married. It brings tears to my eyes how God can put two people together out of random circumstances. I pray that your marriage grows stronger every year and that you two will stay wholly opened to each other and stay best friends forever as your family grows.

     I love you best friend, and am so glad I can give you away to your new best friend. I am continuously excited for this new chapter in our lives as married women and new mothers! This life on earth wouldn't be the same without you! 

 Do you have a best friend that through the years you couldn't live without? What a blessing from God it is to have one!

1 comment: